Monday, December 12, 2011

Really Reasonable Ribbon Food Week

Welcome to Day Eleven of Really Reasonable Food Week! (Ok, so a week is only 7 days...it's holiday food...get with the program!) Today is my day to share my recipe and my packaging project! There is a tutorial for making my treat box, so keep reading!


I have a recipe to share. This is a recipe that my oldest son brought home from preschool about 16 years ago and we make it every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas! You will notice that the photo is not of my actual muffins. This year I baked bread, rather than muffins, and my family ate it before I could take photos!

 Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins 

Photo courtesy thejoyofbaking.com

1 2/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup plain pumpkin
1/2 cup butter, melted
6 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly mix flour, sugar, pie spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, pumpkin, and butter and mix well until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Scoop batter evenly into muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes or until done to the touch.

Makes 24.

Once you make your amazing muffins, you will need a container to put them in. I made this little folded box, which is large enough for one LARGE muffin! I based the idea on a project I created for Spellbinders back in the spring. You can see that project HERE.


I made the box by folding on 12x12 sheet of cardstock. Score your cardstock at 4 and 8 inches. Rotate 90%, and score again at 4 and 8 inches.


Score from the outer corners to the center "box" as shown.


I've drawn the score line in with a white pen so you can see where to score your cardstock.


Trim designer paper to 4 7/8 x 4 7/8 inches and glue to the two middle panels of your paper.


Fold on all score lines. Fold on each 4 and 8 inch score that you made, creasing deeply.


Rotate your paper and continue to fold on the score lines.


Carefully fold on the diagonal score lines. These will fold inward to make the sides of your box.


Continue to fold and glue your box until you have a 4 inch cube. Your designer paper will be on the front and back faces of your box.


Pinch the top of the box together, This will make a triangle shape on the sides of the box.


You don't need to score, just gently shape the box with your hands. Once you add your flap, your box will stay closed.


To create a flap for the box, trim cardstock to 3x4 inches, score at 1 1/2 inches. Glue designer paper to each side of the score lines.


The designer paper should be trimmed to approximately 2 7/8 x 3 7/8 inches.


Use a strong adhesive to adhere one side of the flap to the back of the box, Make sure the fold line is flush with the opening of the box.


Fold the flap over and then create a closure to keep the flap closed. I used two buttons with twine looped around them. You could use hook and loop tape or magnets.


Now you can decorate your box! I cut poinsettia flowers and tiny Christmas ornaments from cream paper using Spellbinders™ dies. I used Shapeabilities® Layered Poinsettia and Holiday Tags. For the stamped tag I used Nestabilities® 2011 Heirloom Ornaments.


I used ink to stencil the flowers before gluing them together. I then added some glitter glue to make them sparkle.


I used ribbon and twine to attach the sentiment to the bottom of the box. I used green shimmer satin, white corsage ribbon, and Christmas baker's twine.


I hope this inspires you to make some muffins...and, perhaps, to give a few away!
Visit the Really Resasonable Ribbon Blog to find a place to link up your favorite goodies and packaging ideas. We really hope you'll join us! We will be awarding a $10 gift certificate to Really Reasonable Ribbon to a randomly selected entry that links in with a favorite recipe and packaging idea.

We will also be giving away one (or maybe more!) December Ribbon Club Assortment from a random comment on one of the RRR Posts from now to December 12th. Stop by and leave a comment on each post during our recipe theme week telling us what you think and you'll be entered to win.

Supply List:
Cardstock: Bazzill Pomegranate
Designer paper: Graphic 45 Christmas Emporium
Spellbinders: Grand Calibur Die Cutting Machine, S5-055 Layered Poinsettia, S4-338 Holiday Tags, S4-325 2011 Heirloom Ornaments
Stamps: JustRite Deck the Halls, Merry and Bright
Ink: Clearsnap Colorbox Graphic 45 Decades Triumphant Red antiquing ink, Colorbox Toffee, Charcoal fluid chalk
Buttons: Buttons Galore and More
Gems: craft supply
Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon green shimmer satin, white corsage ribbon, Christmas baker's twine, jute string natural
Adhesive: Ranger Glossy Accents, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L foam squares, Scotch 3M tape runner

7 comments:

  1. Didn't anyone tell you it's just mean to put yummy muffin pictures on the web? Gorgeous work Gloria :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so cool! Thanx for the tutorial♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the box tutorial and am very impressed at you having a recipe on the blog ;) If you're feeling compelled to make a cookie container I'm having a Glorious Virtual Cookie Exchange Friday, you can link it to...idea, you can make the container, Laura can make the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adorable!! These are perfect for gift-giving! Ooh, and thank you again for the blog candy!!! I got it today and was completely taken back at the amazing product inside, thank you sooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I copy your recipe and hopefully make it soon....sounds so yummy!!!
    And of course to complete the pkg....I will have to make some of these boxes....thank you for both of them.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gloria! I love the sound of these muffins - yummy yummy! Definitely will be trying these! And that box is too cute - I am thinking 4 mini muffins instead of 1 large muffin to give as neighbor gifts :) Thanks for the inspiration - I can't wait to try this!

    rebeccadunham at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful tutorial. I was looking for a christmas gift idea. Thank you again!
    XXX Tineke
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete