Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Christmas Card Make-n-Take

On Saturday (December 2nd), I taught a little Christmas card make-n-take. I thought all of you may like to have a chance to make it from the scraps in your stash!
One of my local friends (Wanda Montgomery) teaches a card workshop every other month. Wanda's style is what I'd call "clean and classic." Most of her work has an interesting folded element and uses lots of stamps, but not a whole lot of printed paper. She wanted to give her students look at a different style of work, so she asked me if I'd come to her workshop and give the ladies a bit of instruction in "my" style of cardmaking. Which is, lots of prints and layers.
I turned up with some show-and-tell and with this card for a make-n-take! I sorted through all of my stash and decided to use up some of the Graphic 45 St. Nicolas papers I am hoarding. I made 12 little card kits to pass out to the ladies. 

They all seemed to have fun, plus they gave me free lunch, so that was a win-win! 
To make this yourself, select three Christmas prints from your stash. Choose a small focal image (1 3/4" x 1 1/4") and follow these directions:

1. Cut black cardstock to 11" x 4 1/4" and score at 5 1/2" to make a top-fold card, 5 1/2" x 4 1/4". 

2. Cut candy cane paper to 5 3/8" x 4 1/8" and attach it to the card front.

3. Cut green stripe paper to 2 1/2" x 4 1/8" and mat with black cardstock cut to 2 5/8" x 4 1/8". Attach this panel to the center of the card front. 

4. Cut red text paper to 4" x 2 1/4" and mat with black cardstock cut to 4 1/8" x 2 3/8". Wrap a 4" length of cream satin ribbon around the top edge and another 4" length around the bottom edge of the panel. (See the sample for placement of the ribbon.)

5. Attach this panel to the left side of the card, approximately 1/2" from the top edge and 3/8" from the left edge.

7. Trim out a Santa postage image and mat with black cardstock cut into a postage shape with a die cut template. 

8. Use foam tape to attach the image to the bottom center of the red text panel. (See the photo for placement.)

9. Glue a chipboard sentiment to the top right of the card as shown in the sample. (Or use scrap chipboard or foam adhesive to attach a pre-printed paper sentiment or a stamped sentiment to the card.)

10. Glue a tiny white flower to the sentiment. 

11. Punch three branch shapes from green paper and glue to the bottom left portion of ribbon. Glue a tiny white flower and a red rose bud to the greenery. 

12. Line the inside of the card with white or cream panels, cut to 5 3/8" x 4 1/8". 

13. Trim out a second Santa postage image and mat with black cardstock cut into a postage shape with a die cut template. Attach the image to the inside of the card, as desired.

14. Stamp a sentiment onto the inside panel, as shown. 

And that's it! Have fun!


Cardstock: black and natural
Printed paper: Graphic 45 St. Nicholas
Chipboard: Graphic 45 St. Nicholas
Stamp: Papertrey Ink Happiest of Holidays
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
Ribbon: cream satin
Branch punch: Martha Stewart
Postage die: My Favorite Things
Flowers: Wild Orchid Crafts
Adhesive: tape runner, foam tape, wet glue

12 comments:

  1. Oh Gloria...I know something about hoarding beautiful papers...lol! Your card is absolutely gorgeous...love it!!! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gloria this is a stunning card all the papers you have used are gorgeous. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gloria! This is Helen from Wanda's SAS where you taught us how to mix & match the different papers and keep a focal point. I really appreciate you taking the time to come teach us. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by the blog, Helen! It was fun hanging out with all of you! I hope to do it again!!

      Delete
  4. 😒😒😒I missed this😒😒😒 wish I had been there. Not to worry I think I have that Graphic 45 in my hoarding. Thanks for the instructions. Lunch with the girls is always good. Tell them I said hi if you see them again. 😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said they miss you VERY MUCH!

      Delete
  5. Another adorable card, Gloria! And I just happen to have oodles of this paper collection left over from a mini album I made and bought about four times too much paper! I forsee several of these cuties in my immediate future before the mailing window closes! Thanks for the super easy-to-follow cutting guide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who buys 4x as much paper as they need...oh wait... I always say I buy one sheet to cut and mess up, two to use on a project (front side and back side), and one sheet to hoard. ;)

      Delete
  6. by the way - are you using 8x8 paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I emailed you, but this is for anyone reading...all the paper is 12x12. ;)

      Delete
  7. Gloria, this is a lovely "make and take" card. Love the Graphics 45 St. Nicholas set. Your make and take experience gives me an idea for a "do it yourself" stocking stuffer for my crafty family and friends. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete